Pros and Cons of Soft Fabric Materials for UpholsteryMarch 28, 2018
Soft fabrics have always been something of a desirable feature when it comes to upholstery, thanks in part to the added comfort and coziness that it provides. Soft fabrics were a popular upholstery choice in the mid-70s to late 80s, when everything plush, soft and comfortable was equated with the concept of ‘groovy’.
However, such materials, while they are in and of themselves desirable, and still quite applicable to this day, have drawbacks that may turn off someone who prefers a more ‘low-maintenance’ type of furniture. This is not to say that soft fabrics are altogether a bad thing because they also provide advantages that more popular options of today cannot provide.
If you’re interested in revamping your furniture through reupholstery, and you are considering soft fabrics as a great alternative to leather or leatherette, then here are some of the pros and cons you have to know before you make the switch:
- Affordability – fabric is a far more affordable choice than the obviously pricier leather, and the still pricey leatherette. If you are on a tight budget, but want to revamp your pre-existing upholstery, fabric is the way to go.
- Variety – unlike leather and its alternatives, soft fabric materials comes in a wide assortment of colours, textures, and styles, which means there is bound to be something that will fit your tastes or match your current home or business aesthetics.
- Versatility – unlike leather and leatherette which can be quite difficult to style, fabric lends itself well to techniques like layering and folding, which not only adds more dimension to your upholstery, but also gives off an added touch of flair, which is always a welcome aspect.
- Permeability – one of the most common drawbacks of cloth upholstery is its permeability to moisture, and, by extension, its lack of stain resistance. The softer a fabric is, the more prone it will be to collecting moisture and retaining stains.
- Sagging – because of its permeability to moisture, soft fabric upholstery will also eventually sag, sometimes even faster than leather and leather alternatives. The only way to prevent this is to ensure that your furniture remains dry, which requires frequent airing-out.
- Tears – fabric is softer than leather, and will have a propensity to tear with time and age. Moist, unaired fabrics will also be more prone to tearing, and the only way to repair tears will be through patches or reupholstery.
Irrespective of its cons, fabric materials nevertheless offers a versatile, affordable, and readily accessible way to jazz up your furniture without spending a fortune.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Advantages of Newly Reupholstered Lounge Seats for Waiting Areas
- Choosing between Fabric or Leather Upholstery for Home Theatre Seating: Individual seats / love seats /divan-type seating
- Reupholstering Office Seats and Lounges versus Buying New Ones
- Springtime Furniture and Upholstery Design Ideas for Outdoor Use
- 5 Best Ideas to Turn Your Old and Rickety Household Lounges into Something Useful
- Commercial Upholstery: The Importance of Fabric Testing for Durability and Strength
- Reviving Antique Furniture with Quality Reupholstery
- Household Upholstery Recycling: Don't Forget the Upholstery
- Outdoor Bench Cushion Materials: Best Options that You Can Choose From
- Commercial Upholstery: How New Fabric Designs Can Impact Your Business Personality
- Restaurant Furniture Upholstery: Best Upholstery Fabrics that Work Best
- Integrating Reupholstered Furniture with Your New Home Décor
- Foam, Feather and Polyester Cushion Fillings: Choose What is Right for You
- Velvet versus Corduroy in Fabric for Reupholstery: What are the Differences?
- Faux Leather vs. Genuine Leather as Materials for Upholstery
- Pros and Cons of Soft Fabric Materials for Upholstery
- Benefits of Customised Cushions for Your Home Sofa
- Genuine Leather for Commercial Upholstery: How Can You Tell What's Real Material and What's Not?
- Commercial Upholstery and Reupholstery for Hotels and Motels
- 5 Good Reasons Why You Should Spend Money for Professional Reupholstery Services
- New Sofa Upholstery Trends for the New Year 2018