Foam, Feather and Polyester Cushion Fillings: Choose What is Right for YouMay 7, 2018
Nothing beats the comfort of a good, well-made cushion. Cushions have long been an integral part of comfort in nearly all civilisations throughout the world, and while they have had many incarnations throughout the centuries, one thing is certain – the softer and firmer the cushion, the more luxuriant and desirable it is.
But this highly sought-after combination of plush softness and weighty firmness isn’t always so readily achievable, and a myriad of materials have been designed throughout the years in an attempt to obtain just the right kind of comforting decadence that a perfect cushion can provide.
Today, there are three staples for nearly all cushions made available in the general market: foam, feather, and polyester fillings – each one having their own pros and cons. If you’re an individual of good taste who is looking for the perfect cushion for your bedroom, here’s what you need to know about the three standard choices available today.
All You Need to Know about Cushion Fillings
- Foam – foam cushions are among the most widely available choices today. Made from polymer, foam cushions are soft, oftentimes lightweight, very affordable, and afford a decent degree of cushioning comfort. Foam has a tendency to deform however, and may lack somewhat in density, so that it is soft but not firm enough to provide proper cushioning. This is sometimes remedied by adding thickness to the foam, but it degenerates overtime and loses its springiness.
Foam also has a tendency to trap heat, making it a decent insulator, which makes it quite uncomfortable in humid and tropical settings. It has the additional con of collecting bad odours if left uncovered, which can be quite difficult to remove.
- Feather – feather cushions are classic, and have been around since the middle of the 1600s, persisting until the present day in various iterations throughout the world. Often sourced from down feathers derived from ducks, but also from other species of birds, as they provide excellent insulation and significant cushioning capacity.
One of its major drawbacks however is in its need to constantly be fluffed, so that the feathers are evenly distributed and the cushion retains its overall shape. Feather cushions also can become musty with age, and require constant aeration and specialised cleaning in order to be properly maintained.
- Polyester – polyester is a relatively new material that has grown in popularity over the recent years, thanks to a number of unique qualities. Not only is polyester soft, but it is also firm, providing excellent cushioning. It is also low-maintenance, dense, durable, and therefore capable of holding its shape.
Unlike feathers and foam, polyester can be cleaned easily and will not collect musty or unpleasant odours. With the recent surge in its popularity, it has also become very affordable.
If you are in need of a supplier of cushion fillings, then you will find everything you want at Absolute Upholstery.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- 5 Best Ideas to Turn Your Old and Rickety Household Lounges into Something Useful
- Commercial Upholstery: The Importance of Fabric Testing for Durability and Strength
- Reviving Antique Furniture with Quality Reupholstery
- Household Upholstery Recycling: Don't Forget the Upholstery
- Outdoor Bench Cushion Materials: Best Options that You Can Choose From
- Commercial Upholstery: How New Fabric Designs Can Impact Your Business Personality
- Restaurant Furniture Upholstery: Best Upholstery Fabrics that Work Best
- Integrating Reupholstered Furniture with Your New Home Décor
- Foam, Feather and Polyester Cushion Fillings: Choose What is Right for You
- Velvet versus Corduroy in Fabric for Reupholstery: What are the Differences?
- Faux Leather vs. Genuine Leather as Materials for Upholstery
- Pros and Cons of Soft Fabric Materials for Upholstery
- Benefits of Customised Cushions for Your Home Sofa
- Genuine Leather for Commercial Upholstery: How Can You Tell What's Real Material and What's Not?
- Commercial Upholstery and Reupholstery for Hotels and Motels
- 5 Good Reasons Why You Should Spend Money for Professional Reupholstery Services
- New Sofa Upholstery Trends for the New Year 2018