Commercial Upholstery: The Importance of Fabric Testing for Durability and StrengthAugust 27, 2018
When purchasing new furniture for offices, or reupholstering older furniture during a fit out, to be more appealing for patrons, people do not usually think about how strong or durable the fabric should be. Instead, most people are more focused on finding the perfect colour and pattern of fabric to reupholster their furniture.
When fabric is made, it is then tested before being placed on the market that is because fabric testing for durability and strength is just as important as its colour and patterns.
Things You should Know About Upholstery Fabric Testing for Durability and Strength
Next time you are looking for fabric, and once you have found the colour and pattern you like, consider some of its properties, like durability, strength, and fade resistance, and the type of weave intricacy it has. Of all the testing upholstery can go through, to be FR-One rated is the best, as it means that the fabric is inherently fire retardant and meets the highest upholstery fabric standards.
To be better informed about how upholstery fabrics are rigorously tested to meet FR-One standards, so that they can be used for all sorts of commercial interior design scenarios, one should know about the Martindale test – a specialised way to measure the durability and wear resistance of upholstery.
The European Martindale Test Method to Measure Durability of Upholstery Fabric
The Martindale method to test fabric is very interesting. A sample piece of fabric that is meant to tested is inserted into a special machine, it is then held firmly in place on a small disk and then rubbed continuously, in a figure eight configuration, against a series of standard materials such as wool. The fabric is monitored to determine how many “rubs” it can endure before becoming worn and damaged.
The minimum amount of rubs fabrics need to endure to become commercially used as upholstery is between 15,000 and 20,000, and FR-One rated fabrics need to endure at least 40,000 rubs. There are extremely strong and durable upholstery fabrics available that have endured 100,000 rubs from a Martindale test!
There are fabrics available that have not undergone the Martindale test method, but these are not used by upholstery professionals. If you are considering reupholstering chairs or sofas for your business, then commercial upholstery experts at Absolute Upholstery will make sure that the fabrics you choose are top rated and tested to be durable and strong.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Advantages of Newly Reupholstered Lounge Seats for Waiting Areas
- Choosing between Fabric or Leather Upholstery for Home Theatre Seating: Individual seats / love seats /divan-type seating
- Reupholstering Office Seats and Lounges versus Buying New Ones
- Springtime Furniture and Upholstery Design Ideas for Outdoor Use
- 5 Best Ideas to Turn Your Old and Rickety Household Lounges into Something Useful
- Commercial Upholstery: The Importance of Fabric Testing for Durability and Strength
- Reviving Antique Furniture with Quality Reupholstery
- Household Upholstery Recycling: Don't Forget the Upholstery
- Outdoor Bench Cushion Materials: Best Options that You Can Choose From
- Commercial Upholstery: How New Fabric Designs Can Impact Your Business Personality
- Restaurant Furniture Upholstery: Best Upholstery Fabrics that Work Best
- Integrating Reupholstered Furniture with Your New Home Décor
- Foam, Feather and Polyester Cushion Fillings: Choose What is Right for You
- Velvet versus Corduroy in Fabric for Reupholstery: What are the Differences?
- Faux Leather vs. Genuine Leather as Materials for Upholstery
- Pros and Cons of Soft Fabric Materials for Upholstery
- Benefits of Customised Cushions for Your Home Sofa
- Genuine Leather for Commercial Upholstery: How Can You Tell What's Real Material and What's Not?
- Commercial Upholstery and Reupholstery for Hotels and Motels
- 5 Good Reasons Why You Should Spend Money for Professional Reupholstery Services
- New Sofa Upholstery Trends for the New Year 2018